Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Volkswagen's "Get In Get Happy" 2013 Super Bowl Commercial



Have you had an opportunity to see the Volkswagen "Get In Get Happy" 2013 Super Bowl  Commercial?  If you haven't take a look:

Volkswagen's "Get In Get Happy" 2013 Super Bowl Commercial

My thoughts..... initially I just smiled, rolled my eyes and shook my head..... thinking..... eehhhhh silly. Then I heard about all of the comments about it being racist.  I didn't agree with it so again....another rolling of the eyes and a shaking of my head.  I was just thinking..... "Geee folks....stop being overly sensitive!"  This however is coming from someone with mixed heritage.

This week I was watching the Wendy Williams Show and she asked the audience if there was anyone Jamaican and I believe there were 2 people.  She then asked them specifically to clap if they thought the commercial was racist.  There was total silence.  She then asked the entire audience to clap if anyone thought it was racist and again total silence.

Then Wendy said something that SPARKED some thought...... she said that she, as a black woman, didn't like when blacks were imitated by non blacks and that would seem racist to her.  You know what.......I have to agree with that.  I think MOST of the time that I've seen the black portrayals done it has been a low income, very  uneducated, ghetto portrayal of blacks and this is why this has been an issue.  NOW, let me speak about my caucasian side as well.  Most of the time that I've seen a non caucasian try and portray a white person, it usually goes into a low income, trailer park environment, where there is brothers and sisters or cousins having relations with each other.  So who do we blame for this racial nonsense?  Ourselves!!!!  We are putting this into the universe so we can only blame ourselves.

So back to the "Get in Get Happy" Super Bowl commercial.  I don't see any portrayal of a social class of any sort, so this to me, is pure entertainment for anyone/everyone to enjoy!  Additionally, since the commercial has surfaced, the Jamaican Tourist Board has endorsed the commercial and they have indicated:

"Jamaica Tourist Board Officials View VW’s Commercial As A Compliment To The Destination The UN Ranks As Having The World's Happiest People" 

I have to agree wholeheartedly!  

Today I came across a spoof video of the VW Super Bowl Ad, in which a fellow Jamaican, which I met recently, is portraying a Jamaican German.... or as indicated a Germaican.  LOL!  Take a look at the video: 



So COME ON PEOPLE...... let's "COME ON GET HAPPY!"  

Enjoy!  

If you have any question, please feel free to contact us:

Marr Travel
website: www.marrtravel.com
email: info@marrtravel.com
phone: (425) 272-5712
facebook: www.facebook.com/marrtravel/app_190322544333196



No comments:

Post a Comment